- Emilia Clarke just dished out some major clues for the Game of Thrones finale, so cue the fan theories!
- Her wardrobe is full of secrets.
Needless to say, this post contains some spoilers. Do yourself a favor and just catch up already!
Gather round, children, because there are some Game of Thrones fan theories we need to discuss. Emilia Clarke just gave a juicy new interview about the final season, and she gave everyone a major hint for Daenerys’ fate, which has prompted a full-on tailspin in the GOT fandom.
So, while talking to Harper’s Bazaar, Emilia gave everyone full permission to read into Daenerys Targaryen’s wardrobe for this season, which includes a bold red getup. Emilia said, “There’s a real throughline for this particular season, there’s a real arc and I feel like fans, like hardcore fans, will clock what’s happening within the reflection of the clothing. There’s definitely a story to tell there.” Wow. Okay, let’s dissect this real quick.
As most fans know, Dany’s wardrobe consists mostly of black and white fits with the exception of her earth-toned looks from when she was with Khal Drogo. From the looks of the trailer, Dany is wearing a red cape—she’s worn it before—along with a white fur coat. But also, Emilia said she’ll be donning some red fur this season, which could mean a few different things:
(1) She’s just dressing for the weather since she’s in Winterfell now with Jon Snow, Sansa Stark, and Arya Stark. (More plot developments in a second!)
(2) Red is the same color as (duh) blood, so Dany could be in for some real trouble this season. Considering she and her nephew/lover Jon have a plan to defeat the Night King’s army, it’s not outlandish to think she’ll be on the frontlines with her dragons as they lay waste to everything that’s below them, possibly including the ice dragon. It’s not totally clear if the red is to try to blend in with a battle scene or if it’s some sad foreshadowing, but, girl, this doesn’t look good. Also in the interview, Emilia said, “She [Dany] starts feeling pretty cocksure and confident, and then stuff happens,” so yeah.
(3) Daenerys is Azor Ahai reborn and is here to bring summer back. According to a prophecy, Azor is supposed to be born amid smoke and salt (check), wake dragons (check x3), and appears when the red star bleeds (check, from when a comet appeared in the sky). Plus, the Red Priests and Red Priestesses who follow the Lord of Light dress in red. So! Many! Connections!
(4) She could be embracing her Targaryen lineage by wearing her family’s colors and reinforcing that she’s the one who belongs on the Iron Throne. Now, this is admittedly rather meh-sounding at first, but it’s actually important because it might signal that Dany has turned her focus back to the throne and away from the war with the Night King.
Let me explain: Who—with the exception of crazy Cersei Lannister—would choose to focus on trying to secure the throne when a legit monster creature is coming after you and everyone you know?? Exactly, no one. So, you could fairly assume that the living have defeated the undead and are now back to fighting for the Iron Throne.
Thanks for coming to this Ted Talk.